Online Refund Status: Do you want to check the Online Refund Status of your Income Tax? Then, you have reached the right place. Here we will guide you through the step-by-step process to check the Online Refund Status of Income Tax.
What is Income Tax Refund?
An Income Tax Refund is mainly the return which is being given to the taxpayer when his /her tax liability is less than the actual taxes he/she has paid.
Who is eligible for the Income Tax Refund?
According to the following issues, the person will be eligible for Income Tax Refund.
- By mistake, the taxpayer has paid more tax as self-Assessment but he/ she is liable to pay less tax through regular assessment.
- The TDS deducted by a bank or the taxpayer representative is more than your tax liability through regular assessment.
- Your Income has been taxed in India and also in the foreign country.
- In case the taxpayer has not announced some investments which offer certain profits to him.
Data required to check the Income Tax Refund Status Online
In order to check the Income Tax Refund Status Online, you have to first visit the Official website of the Income Tax Department. It’s exactly the same portal, on which you have e-file your income tax online. As you want to check the Income Tax Refund Status Online, you should have following data handy with you.
- PAN: PAN is used as a User ID in the portal.
- DD: It is required for authentication. You have to mention this in the DD/MM/YYYY Format.
- Password: You should remember your password. As the password required by Income Tax Department is much complex, you should recall it properly. If you have forgotten the password, you have to follow the long procedure to retrieve the password.
- Lastly, you have to fill the captcha as shown in the image, be aware of it.
How to check Online Refund Status of Income Tax?
In order to check the Income Tax Refund Status Online, follow the simple steps given below:
- Visit the Income Tax portal and enter your PAN, DOB, and Password.
- Now, you have to click on “My Account”. Then you will be able to see a drop down menu, after that click on “Refund/Demand Status”.
- As soon as you click, you will be directed to the Income Tax Refund Status Page. Here, on this page, you will be able to view your financial status from the year 2009-10.
Lastly, you will be able to view the Status in the Column by following terms as listed below:
- Refund Processing
- Refund Processed
- Refund Sent to the Bank
- Refund Unpaid
- Refund paid
Due to any reason, if your status is “refund unpaid”, then you also will be able to check the reason behind the nonpayment in the next column.
Also, you will be able to view your refund payment mode. In major cases, it would be electronically paid. However, in order to receive the refund amount instantly into your bank account, you should mention your bank account and mobile number at the time of filing the income tax return.
Thus, by this process, you will be able to check the status of your Income Tax Refund Status Online. In case, do you want any Income Tax Refund Status Enquiry Number?
The Income Tax Department has kept a special number for the queries regarding the Income Tax Refund Status. The number is 1800 425 2229. Due to any reason, if you are not able to get the Income Tax Refund Status online, then you can use this number.
Apart from the above two procedure, you can also submit your grievance online. This mode will take more time as compared to the other two, but you will receive the best answer for the query.
Read More: Pay Income Tax Online
How to file the Grievance for the Income Tax Refund Status?
In order to file the Grievance for the Online Refund Status of your Income Tax, follow the steps given below:
- Login to your Account on Income Tax e-filing portal.
- Now, go to the “Helpdesk” link. Now, from the drop menu, click on “Submit Grievance”. However, other option available will be Grievance Query which will be used to check the status of your Grievance.
- Now, on the next page, you will view two options such as “CPC” and
“e-Filling” Select the first in order to fill the Income Tax Grievance and then click on “Continue”.
- In this step, you have to provide necessary details about your Income Tax Refund.
- Select the Assessment year from the drop-down menu.
- Select the category from the drop-down menu, it would be “REFUND”.
- Lastly, select the Sub Category from the drop down as per your query and finally click on submit.
- However, if your question is not available on the menu, you can also select others.
This method usually takes 7 days to answer your question. While you can also check your Grievance Status in the “Helpdesk” link.
My Refund is generated by direct credit mode but it is failed. What should I do?
The main reason your Refund failure are listed below:
- The Account is being deactivated
- All the operations on the account are stopped.
- The Account is basically a fixed deposit/Loan/Public Provident Fund (Account)
- It is an NRI Account.
- The Account is passed away.
Steps you should take:
- If you have applied for the Income Tax Refund physically, then you have to provide a valid account number and IFSC/ MICR code to the respective assessing officer. As soon as your details will be updated by the Officer, and he will then initiate the refund request.
- In case you have applied for the Income tax refund online, then you have to visit the official portal. Login with your details. Go to the “My Account” tab and click on “Refund re-issue request” and fill the form with all the appropriate details.
- Here you have to also provide your Central Pay Commission (CPC) reference number and the refund Sequence Number.
Your Refund Status says Paid. You have received the fund via ECS refund advice but the account is not credit. What should I do?
If you receive an ECS refund advice slip but your Amount is not been credit in the account as the bank is using the wrong data or there is a delay in the credit of your Account. Follow the steps given below:
- If you have provided the correct information, then you should contact the bank and enquire about the details of the NEFT, UTR or NECS sequence provided on the TIN website.
- If you have provided wrong information, then you should contact the bank to check whether the Refund is been credited to wrong bank account.
Your refund status says, your Refund gained through NECS/ NEFT mode is failed. What steps to take?
Due to some reason, the refund obtained by the NECS/NEFT mode is failed, in such cases, you should confirm your Account Number, Account Description, and MISC/IFSC code at the time of filing the income tax return.
Follow the steps given below if refund by NECS/NEFT method fails.
- If you have physically filed the Income Tax Return, then you should confirm the details with the respective assessing officer and apply for re-issue request.
- If you have filed the income tax return online, then follow simple steps given below:
- Visit the Official Income Tax Portal and login with your credentials.
- Then go to the “Profile Settings” tab and click on “My Profile”.
- Double check all the data that you view in this tab and make appropriate changes.
- After updating data, you should apply for Refund Re-issue request.
Read More: Pension Plans
How will I get my Income Tax Refund in India?
You can claim your Income Tax Refund by filing the Income Tax Return Online. Fortunately, the return filing due date is 31st July Every year. The date can later be expanded by Income Tax Department.
How much Income Tax will I get it back?
In order to know the amount of Income Tax you get back, you have to compute your Income Tax Liability. If you have paid more amount than your Income Tax Liability, then the additional taxes that are paid by you will be returned to the Income Tax Department.
How much time will it take to get Income Tax Refund?
Your Income Tax Refund will be processed within 2-6 months from the date of filing Income Tax Online. However, it will take longer if you have paid Income Tax physically.
How will I receive my Refund Back?
Your Refund will be directly credited to the back or you will receive a check.
Can I Claim the Tax Refund Status for the Previous Years?
In a particular assessment year, you can claim the Refund Status for up to 2 previous years or Financial Years.
My Refund Status shows “Refund Expired”. What should I do?
The Validity period for Refund is 90 days. In case the period expires, then the Refund is expired and cancelled.
Follow the steps given below:
- If you have requested for Income Tax Return in the paper, then please meet the concerned Assessing Officer.
- If you requested for Income Tax Return Online, then follow the steps as given below:
– Visit the Official Income Tax e-Filing Portal.
– Log in with your User ID and Portal.
– Now, go to “My Account” and click on “Refund Re-issue Request” from the drop-down menu.
– Now, fill all the required details to apply for the Refund re-issue Request.
My Refund didn’t reach me because my Address is changed. I want to apply for Refund Re-issue request. How can I apply?
You can raise the Refund Re-issue request on the Income Tax e-filing website. To apply for it, the first login into your Account and then go to “My Account” section. Then Click on “Refund re-issue request”. Here you have to mention certain details such as in which mode you want to get your Refund back, ECS or Cheque and also mention your bank account number and new address and finally submit the request.
– Similarly, when your Account Number is changed, you have to follow the same procedure.
I want to update my Address, Email ID, Mobile Number which I have declared while filing Income Tax Return.
- In order to update your details, first login with your Account in the Income Tax e-filing Portal.
- Then Go to “Profile Settings”, and then click on “Update Contact details”
- Now here you have mention all of your details such as Address, Email ID and Mobile Number and then click on “Submit”.
- As soon as you have submitted, all of your details will be updated and will be sent to the CPC (Central Processing Center) to update on the Income Tax Return.
We Hope that you got all the required information about Online Refund Status of your Income Tax. If you liked this article, then please share it with your Family and Friends.
Read More: PPF Calculator