How to Check NSDL and UTI Pan Card Status: As a citizen, we are all aware of the important documents that our government issue to verify our identity. To apply for any government service or to avail any benefit, verification of our identity is necessary. But, apart from that how many of us actually know the about complete use of these documents is an important question. These documents serve more than just proving your identity.
Like for instance, we all know about PAN card. But do you know the complete details of a PAN card? Like its use, importance, benefits or how to check NSDL and UTI PAN card status? Most of us don’t have any knowledge about the above-mentioned information. To avail all the benefits in relation to the use of these documents, it is important for us to know every inch of it. In this article, we have focused only on PAN card. Here you will get the steps for Pan Card Application form.
What Is A PAN Card?
Permanent Account Number (PAN) is a unique 10-digit alphanumeric number, issued in the form of a card to every individual or taxpayer. It is issued by the Income Tax Department of India under the supervision of the Central Board of Direct Taxes (CBDT). Your PAN card serves as a proof of identity and is issued under the Indian Income Tax Act, 1961.
PAN Card Status
Anybody, from any age group, can apply for a PAN number once. PAN card is essential to carry out any major financial transactions starting from receiving a taxable salary, opening a bank account, sale or purchase of assets and much more. The PAN number is also issued to international organizations and investors in order to carry out any financial transactions in India.
The main objective of PAN is to prevent the evasion of taxes by tracking financial transactions that may include taxable component. This is possible with the help of a universal identification key. The good thing about PAN number is that it remains unaffected even if there’s a change in your address.
How to Check NSDL and UTI PAN Card Status?
If you are applying for your PAN card, you would definitely want to know about your PAN status. With the dawn of digitization, now one can check their PAN card status online. But, do you know how to check PAN card status?
While you are applying for the PAN card, you can know the status of your PAN through NSDL or UTI. Let us guide you through the steps to check your PAN card status.
Check NSDL PAN Card Status
- To get the current status of your PAN card application, visit the official page of NSDL.
- A form will appear for you to fill up.
- Fill in the fields with the following required information:
- Application type: PAN- New/ Change Request
- Acknowledgment Number: You can fill it up with your acknowledgment number or your name instead
- Name: Write your full name
- Date Of Birth: DOB/incorporation/Trust/Agreement/Formation/Association in DD/MM/YY format.
After filling up the required information, click on the submit button. Your PAN card status will appear on the screen. This is a very easy and quick method to check your PAN card status.
You may be Interested in Pay Income Tax Online
Check UTI PAN Card Status
While you are applying for your PAN through UTI, you need to have your application coupon number in order to track you PAN status online.
- Visit the official page of UTI.
- A form will appear asking for your application coupon number.
- Fill up your coupon number in the given blank box.
After entering your application coupon number, click on the submit button. Your PAN card status will be shown.
This process of checking your PAN status online is also known as PAN card tracking. It takes only 2 minutes to check your status. If you want, you can repeat this process and check your PAN status regularly.
How to Know Your PAN (NSDL)?
Do you know that you can check your PAN whenever needed even when you don’t have the PAN card with you? Isn’t amazing? Well, the process is as simple as checking your PAN card status online. In fact, you can check the PAN following the same above mentioned process.
How to Know Your PAN?
- Open the official NSDL website.
- Enter your full name.
- Select your date of birth from the given drop-down menu.
- Click the submit button, and you will get to know about your PAN.
Yes, the process is this simple. By this way, you can know about your PAN whenever and wherever you want.
Uses and Importance of PAN Card
A PAN card has many other uses, other than just serving as a way for the Income Tax Department to keep a track on your financial transactions. Some of the uses of PAN card may include:
- Opening A Bank Account: A PAN card is mandatory in order to open a new bank account, whether it is a public, private or a co-operative bank, all of them require the submission of PAN card.
- Buying or Selling a Vehicle: In order to sell or purchase a vehicle worth more than Rs 5, 00,000, you will have to fetch the details of your PAN card to carry on with the dealing.
- Applying For A Debit Or Credit Card: According to the rules laid out by RBI, it is mandatory for you to provide your PAN card details at a bank or any financial institution when applying for a debit or credit card.
- Purchase of Jewellery: If you are planning to buy any jewelry worth more than Rs 5, 00,000, then you will have to provide your PAN card details.
- Making Investments: Investing in securities which include an amount more than Rs50, 000 requires you to furnish your PAN card details. This is also applicable to equities, bonds, mutual funds, and debentures.
- Proof of Identity: Like any other government document, PAN card also serves as an identity proof throughout the country. PAN card can be used when applying for a passport, driving license, electricity connection,
- Foreign Exchange: If you are planning to go abroad, you will need to convert your Indian currency into foreign currency. In order to do so, you will have to fetch your PAN card details to the bank or the financial institution and get your currency converted.
- Property: The government has made it mandatory, the requirement of PAN card in order to buy, sell or rent a property in India.
- Loans: If you apply for a loan from the bank or any financial institution, the first thing they will ask is your PAN card details.
- Fixed Deposits: To fix an amount more than Rs50, 000 you are required to provide your PAN card details to the bank.
- Cash Deposits: You will have to submit your PAN card details, if you deposit an amount more than Rs50, 000.
- Telephone Connections: It is mandatory to submit your PAN card details if you wish to get a new telephone connection.
- Insurance Payments: According to the IT-department, PAN card details are mandatory to make an insurance payment more than Rs50, 000 a year.
Thus, you can see how a small laminated card can come to so many important uses.
Whom Can All Apply For PAN?
- Every person who earns a taxable salary in India.
- The foreign nationals who pay their taxes here in India.
- Anybody who owns or runs a business whose total sales, gross receipt, and turnover exceed the limit of Rs 5 lakh, every financial year.
Now, the question arises how to apply for a PAN?
A person can apply for a PAN by following these simple steps:
- Fill up the form 49A or 49AA, whichever is applicable for you (you can find more details at incometaxindia.gov.in)
- Find the location of the PAN card offices near you from the website of the Income Tax Department or National Securities Depository Limited (NSDL).
- You will need a copy of identity proof and address.
- You can make the payment either by cash or cheque or even by demand draft whichever is convenient for you.
- You can also apply for PAN online through the website of Income Tax Department or NSDL.
- In case, you are applying online; the payment can be made via net banking, debit card or credit card.
- After applying, you can track the status of your PAN application online.
Benefits of Having a PAN Card
PAN card is not only beneficial to its holder, but it is also beneficial to the government as well.
Having a PAN card can entitle you to the following benefits:
- Your PAN card has your photograph, name, and address. Hence, it can be used as proof of identity.
- People without a PAN card may be taxed twice the rate.
- Every PAN card holder has a different unique PAN number. This reduces the chances of misuse of the PAN card.
- People who own a PAN card are eligible for any kind of financial transactions.
- NRIs can make use of the PAN card in order to buy or engage in business in India.
- A bank account for a minor can be easily opened with PAN card details of his guardian.
The PAN card not only has these great benefits but, it is also used in normal transactions. The process of the transaction has been simplified with the use of PAN card.
PAN card provides the following benefit to the government:
- It helps the government to track all the major financial dealings of an individual, business or a company.
- It helps the government to fix the rate of tax depending on your financial transactions and income.
- PAN card helps prevent the evasion of taxes.
- It serves as a useful tool to calculate the total tax revenue generated by the company.
Thus, we can see how PAN card can be beneficial to the both the people and the government.
If you don’t have a PAN card then, apply for it today and enjoy the benefits entitled to it. And lastly, be a responsible citizen and pay your taxes on time.