UAN Member Portal: Gone are the days when every Provident Fund (PF) account holder had to change their Employee Provident Fund (EPF) account whenever they changed jobs. The process was both times consuming and painful. The changing of accounts involved the transferring of money from the old account to the new account. The process of which wouldn’t take less than 2 months or in some cases even more than that. There are instances, where the employees have been forced to withdraw their money just to spare themselves from the tiring transfer process. The entire process involved the verification of each account holder by the employer through the EPF system.
UAN Member Portal
But, today because of our honorable Prime Minister Mr. Narendra Modi, the lives of all the employees have become hassle free. He has introduced the Universal Account Number (UAN) system for all the PF account holders. This system allows every PF account holder to have a unique identification number. UAN eliminates the need of intermediation by the employers. The Employer’s Provident Fund Organization (EPFO) has already issued more than 41.7 million UANs. Therefore, it is advisable for you to know what UAN is, before we get into further details about UAN and UAN Member Portal, in this article.
What is UAN?
Universal Account Number (UAN) is a unique 12-digit number issued by the EPFO to all the Provident Fund account holders. It is a ‘must know’ number for all the employees. The hectic process of transferring money from one account to the other while changing jobs have been made eliminated with UAN. Now, when an employee leaves his company and joins a new one, all he has to do is to provide his UAN to his new employer. The PF ID created at his new workplace will be tagged with his UAN.
To frame it in simple words, UAN serves as an umbrella for the multiple PF accounts allotted to a single member by the different employers.
Purpose of UAN
UAN is a number which will stay associated with the employee throughout his career. It is transferable across companies and is valid all over India. On changing jobs, the employee only has to provide his UAN to his new employer in order to get his PF account linked. Previously, the employees were depended on their employers to verify their PF account. In some cases, the employers misused this trust. They delayed the process of verification or even prevented employees from joining new companies by not signing their PF withdrawal forms. The purpose of introducing the UAN system is to eliminate these obstructions.
UAN also enables the EPFO to keep track of the job changes of each employee. This allows them to know where a person is working at any point in time. UAN also prevents employees from making withdrawals from their EPF account on changing jobs.
Benefits of Having UAN
The employees may get the following benefits from the UAN system:
- Transfer and withdrawal of EPF made easy and less time-consuming.
- No need of depending on the employer to transfer the claims for EPF transfer and EPF withdrawal. The documents can be submitted online.
- Information of all the PF accounts is stored in one place.
- Transparency of PF accounts. You will receive am intimation text from EPFO, every month about your PF balance.
- On changing jobs, the employees don’t have to apply for their PF transfer.
How To Get Your UAN?
Usually, your employer should provide you with the UAN. But, however, if your employer does not give you the UAN, you can get it from the UAN Member Portal itself. The EPFO allows you to check your UAN status on UAN Member Portal. The procedure to get your UAN from the UAN Member Portal is listed below. But, before that you will need the following information:
- Your PF number, which you can get it from your salary slip.
- Date of Birth as recorded with EPFO.
- Name as recorded with EPFO.
- Your mobile number.
Steps To Getting UAN
Follow these simple steps to get your UAN from the UAN Member Portal:
- Visit the official website of the UAN Member Portal.
- Click on the ‘Know Your UAN status’ link.
- Enter your PF details in the given space.
- Click on ‘check ‘
- A new page will open where it will be shown whether you have been allotted UAN or not. If yes, then you will be asked to fill up the required information for verification. This includes your personal details such as name, date of birth, mobile number and email address.
- After filling up the required details, you will have to set a password.
- Fill CAPTCHA and click on ‘Get ‘
- After verification, you will be registered on the UAN Member Portal
- You will receive an authorization pin on your registered mobile number. Enter the authorization PIN in the given space.
- Click on the checkbox ‘I ‘ Then, click the ‘Submit’ button.
- A new page will appear which will show your UAN in the green color You will also receive a text with your UAN on your mobile phone. Write down the UAN for your future purposes.
This process not only gives you your UAN but also gets you registered on the UAN Member Portal. Now, you can login into the UAN Member Portal using your UAN and password, whenever you want.
Benefits of Registering On UAN Member Portal
After registering or activating your UAN on UAN Member Portal, you can avail the following benefits or facilities:
- You can check your PF account balance.
- You can download your PF passbook.
- Link your other PF accounts.
- You can change your mobile number and email address if you want.
- Upload your KYC data.
- You can download your UAN card in PDF format.
- Online application for PF transfer.